Parks & Recreation Department
Parks & Recreation Forms
Mission Statement of the Ridgetop Parks Advisory Board
“The mission of the Ridgetop Parks Advisory Board is to enhance and protect the quality of life of the citizens of Ridgetop, Tennessee. This goal will be achieved as follows:
-through the encouragement of a well rounded recreational program designed to serve all citizens of the community;
-through the establishment and implementation of proper rules and regulations governing activities on and uses of park properties;
-through the responsible supervision of all recreation programs and facilities owned and operated by the city.”
The Board exists for the benefit of the citizens of the community and with that overriding spirit this mission statement is dedicated.
Pioneer Park, 316 Cobb Street, Ridgetop, TN
The transition of an abandoned school yard into a functional city park was the dream of Bob Robb. When a group of civic-minded neighbors pitched in, the dream began to come true.
The four acre park was the former grounds for the Ridgetop School, and then used by the Civil Defense. After use by the Civil Defense, there wasn’t enough money for maintenance and upkeep. Since the school’s demise, about 1950, Bob Robb, a Ridgetop City Commissioner, had a plan to make the campus into a community park. With the help of Mary Hall, an artist, the plan was put on paper.
Ridgetop Pioneer Park, established about 1983, boasted a gazebo, a large picnic shelter, swings, slides, and a playground for children and the Bluebird Walking Trail. Also on the grounds, although not a part of the park, was a shelter for the city’s fire engine.
Construction of the park, which cost an estimated $20,000 was financed through revenue sharing and by local donations. In all, more than 300 hours of time were volunteered to make the park a reality.
The park a tribute to one man’s dream and a community’s united effort, was dedicated during Ridgetop’s Homecoming ’86 ceremonies on Memorial Day Weekend.
Park facilities include:
Pavilion - 30’ x 48’ with electrical outlets
Includes six each 8’ tables seating a total of 48 people
2 additional picnic tables in park
Park is lit by street lights around park.
Ridgetop Station Park, 1954 Woodruff Avenue, Ridgetop, TN 37073
- Ridgetop Historical Society Celebrates Its 30th Year! >Press Release
Mrs. Wilson, a widow, and her children decided it was time to move from the 10 room older home. The Mayor of Ridgetop caught wind of the possible sell of Mrs. Wilson home and land, thus requesting requesting a meeting with Mrs. Wilson and her son, Chuck.
After discussion among the Mayor and Aldermen, there was a vision of preserving some of the heritage of Ridgetop. Discussions (pro and con) with the City Officials, the Citizens of Ridgetop and Mrs. Wilson’s family led to the land becoming the Ridgetop Station Park in March, 2006.
With limited time, a Park Board (volunteers) was formed, two grants (for money from the State of Tennessee) was written and submitted. In August, 2006, the City of Ridgetop was granted $400,000 from the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation for the development of the the new park.
Park facilities include:
32 foot Octagon Pavilion
1/3 Mile Walking Trail